[SGVLUG] What linux calendering programs do people like

Tom Emerson starman9x at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 16:48:40 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Mike Rubel <mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu> wrote:
> There seems to be a lot of discussion on using the Google calendar back
> end with Lightning as the front end.  How about on the server side?  Are
> there any good Linux calendar servers out there?

since I happened to be installing something from the SuSE
repositories, I took a look at what the search term "calendar" popped
up:  (comments to follow at the end)

===
gcalcli - Google Calendar Command Line Interface

gcalcli is a Python application that allows you to access your Google
Calendar from a command line. It's easy to get your agenda, search for
events, and quickly add new events. Additionally gcalcli can be used
as a reminder service to execute any application you want.
===
llibmcal - Modular Calendar Access Library

The MCAL library is very similar to the c-client IMAP library. It
offers a common, simple interface for accessing calendars that can be
stored in many different formats, both local and remote formats are
supported.
===
evolution - The Integrated GNOME Mail, Calendar, and Address Book Suite

Evolution consists of modular components (at the moment: mailer,
calendar, and address book) that should make daily life easier.
Because of the modular design, it is possible to plug new components
into Evolution or embed the existing ones in other applications.
===
python-icalendar - Parser/generator of iCalendar files package for Python

The iCalendar package is a parser/generator of iCalendar files for use
with Python. It follows the RFC 2445 (iCalendar) specification.
===
nachocalendar - A flexible Calendar component for Java
[has a really long description that I won't copy here]
===

it certainly appears there are /tools/ to create a calendar /server/
out there.  In particular, I would imagine the python-icalendar tool
would be good for creating the export interface, while the
nachocalendar (component?) would be the basis for calendar objects.
Ultimately, a calendar, in general, is nothing more than a
database/table of "event entries", which can be as simple as two
fields: date and description (text/memo).  Extending this (start time,
end time, repeating or not, advance notification/reminder, who will
attend, etc.) is a matter of taste and how well you can create and
program a user interface.  the "server" part is simply a query to
return entries, which would be fed to the icalendar generator for
compatibility with the rest of the world.