[SGVLUG] What linux calendering programs do people like

Tom Emerson starman9x at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 20:34:40 PST 2010

Previously, I wrote:
> Ultimately, a calendar, in general, is nothing more than a
> database/table of "event entries", which can be as simple as two
> fields: date and description (text/memo). ...

further web travels today brought me to this site:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar

and in particular this section:

http://microformats.org/wiki/hcalendar#Properties_and_Sub-properties

which notes the only two /required/ properties are start time and summary :)

> ...  Extending this (start time,
> end time, repeating or not, advance notification/reminder, who will
> attend, etc.) is a matter of taste and how well you can create and
> program a user interface. ...

the rest of the page describes a so-called "microformat", which
apparently is a standardized way of noting particular "bits of
information" when blogging.  In this case, it provides a standard way
to describe an "event" such that web indexers like google can easily
find, extract, and re-present the information for consumers.

in practice, this appears to be a somewhat expanded HREF block in HTML
- for instance, our next meeting could be written (in HTML) like this:

href="http://www.sgvlug.org" class="url"><abbr
title="2010-12-03T19:00-08:0000" class="dtstart">December 3, 2010
7</abbr> – <abbr title="2010-12-03T21:00-08:00"
class="dtend">9pm</abbr> :  <span class="summary">SGVLUG General
Meeting</span> at <span class="location">Caltech campus, Downs
building, room 107</span></a>

event</a> brought to you by the <a
href="http://microformats.org/code/hcalendar/creator">hCalendar

which would, by default, display simply as a link [and a note about
how the link was generated]  However, you could have some css
definitions that would highlight this tidbit to look like a
handwritten note on a physical calendar.  Also, I would imagine, you
might have client side programs (a greasemonkey script in firefox, for
example) that would recognize the hcalendar "div" so a right-click on
the URL might show "add to sunbird/lightning" as a potential action.