[SGVLUG] Re: Yes Solomon! U can B our Nxt speaker

Solomon K. Chang skevin521 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 16:14:09 PDT 2006

--- "Emerson, Tom" <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:

> I take it that's a "yes"?  I'll be adding it to the website shortly -- I
> presume I can use the write-up given on the lampsig list as the "blurb"?
> (with hints to the effect it will go a little more in depth on the
> technical aspects)

Go ahead and put it on the SGVLUG site, including LAMPSIG's blurb.

> I know Mike brings his wireless setup, which is about 85% stable in that
> room (gets interference from Caltech's own wireless at times)  I have a
> small 8-port switch that I bring to ensure a "hard" connection, which
> ends up being 99% stable (seems I have a break in one of my short
> cables)

At the hands-on demo during my LAMPSIG talk, I simply brought a Linksys wireless
router, figuring that everyone who brought a computer would bring a laptop, which would
be wifi-capable.  (I was correct.)  I'll make the same assumption for here - no need
for a switch with lots of ports... unless someone is planning to bring an old "decrepit
laptop" that has no wifi, but I don't know how we're going to fit its integrated
Volkswagon into the room.  (Sorry, reference to a previous post)

> Unfortunately, this will be the --one time-- in a very long time that I
> likely won't be able to make it -- I'm scheduled for laser surgery on my
> other eye at 5:00 that evening, which for those that don't know, they
> tell you to "go home and sleep" immediately following.  So this brings
> up two questions:

Hey, this will be the first time in a long time I've attended ever since I moved out of
San Gabriel.  One might infer that if Thom and I are never at the meeting at the same
time, we must be one and the same person.  One of us is the other person's secret
identity. ***buttons up shirt covering a big red "T" on my chest...

>    2) Solomon: are you OK with Mike taping the session for future /
> offsite reference?  Obviously, those folks "offsite" during the meeting
> won't have the luxury of root-access to your laptop (I suspect you'll
> have a non-routable IP address, possibly even an IPv6 address)

I'm fine with taping.  At the LAMPSIG talk, there were three mp3 recorders and a camera
focused on me.  I pretty much forgot about them through the whole lecture.  BTW,
LAMPSIG is also making my footage available for whoever wants to see it.
I wouldn't really call it root access to my laptop. :)  I'm running a few VMware images
that I *expect* to get hosed.

Solomon Chang
Database Administrator
PriceGrabber.com