[SGVLUG] Re: Yes Solomon! U can B our Nxt speaker

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 16:35:39 PDT 2006

On 10/4/06, Solomon K. Chang <skevin521 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- "Emerson, Tom" <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
>
> > I take it that's a "yes"?  I'll be adding it to the website shortly -- I
> > presume I can use the write-up given on the lampsig list as the "blurb"?
> > (with hints to the effect it will go a little more in depth on the
> > technical aspects)
>
> Go ahead and put it on the SGVLUG site, including LAMPSIG's blurb.
>
> > I know Mike brings his wireless setup, which is about 85% stable in that
> > room (gets interference from Caltech's own wireless at times)  I have a
> > small 8-port switch that I bring to ensure a "hard" connection, which
> > ends up being 99% stable (seems I have a break in one of my short
> > cables)
>
> At the hands-on demo during my LAMPSIG talk, I simply brought a Linksys wireless
> router, figuring that everyone who brought a computer would bring a laptop, which would
> be wifi-capable.  (I was correct.)  I'll make the same assumption for here - no need
> for a switch with lots of ports... unless someone is planning to bring an old "decrepit
> laptop" that has no wifi, but I don't know how we're going to fit its integrated
> Volkswagon into the room.  (Sorry, reference to a previous post)
>

> > Unfortunately, this will be the --one time-- in a very long time that I
> > likely won't be able to make it -- I'm scheduled for laser surgery on my
> > other eye at 5:00 that evening, which for those that don't know, they
> > tell you to "go home and sleep" immediately following.  So this brings
> > up two questions:

Tom thanks for the heads up I try to bring one of mine incase. There
are two ports in the room but I like to use one for wireless and one
for the streaming, which leaves none for poeple who have not figured
out wireless.

> Hey, this will be the first time in a long time I've attended ever since I moved out of
> San Gabriel.  One might infer that if Thom and I are never at the meeting at the same
> time, we must be one and the same person.  One of us is the other person's secret
> identity. ***buttons up shirt covering a big red "T" on my chest...
>
> >    2) Solomon: are you OK with Mike taping the session for future /
> > offsite reference?  Obviously, those folks "offsite" during the meeting
> > won't have the luxury of root-access to your laptop (I suspect you'll
> > have a non-routable IP address, possibly even an IPv6 address)
> >

> I'm fine with taping.  At the LAMPSIG talk, there were three mp3 recorders and a camera
> focused on me.  I pretty much forgot about them through the whole lecture.  BTW,
> LAMPSIG is also making my footage available for whoever wants to see it.
> I wouldn't really call it root access to my laptop. :)  I'm running a few VMware images
> that I *expect* to get hosed.

Well in the room the ipaddresses are public so it is possable to have
the computer available to the world but it is up to Solomon if he
trust the world as much as he trusts the people in the room. So
everyone knows the ap I usally bring is a dumb AP and just bridges the
wired side to wireless.