[SGVLUG] Re: Yes Solomon! U can B our Nxt speaker

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Oct 4 16:00:02 PDT 2006

> -----Original Message----- Of Solomon K. Chang
>
> No, don't worry, it's not too short notice at all if I'm
> going to repeat 85% of my last talk. :)  There're two things
> I do expect from SGVLUG, though:

I take it that's a "yes"?  I'll be adding it to the website shortly -- I
presume I can use the write-up given on the lampsig list as the "blurb"?
(with hints to the effect it will go a little more in depth on the
technical aspects)

> My topic focuses strictly on a Linux platform.  People are
> welcome to SSH as root to my virtual master and slaves -
[...]

Cool!  "hands on" demo -- that should be a big draw!

I know Mike brings his wireless setup, which is about 85% stable in that
room (gets interference from Caltech's own wireless at times)  I have a
small 8-port switch that I bring to ensure a "hard" connection, which
ends up being 99% stable (seems I have a break in one of my short
cables)

Unfortunately, this will be the --one time-- in a very long time that I
likely won't be able to make it -- I'm scheduled for laser surgery on my
other eye at 5:00 that evening, which for those that don't know, they
tell you to "go home and sleep" immediately following.  So this brings
up two questions:

   1) Mike: will you be streaming the meeting?  I know you ran into
problems last time due to a bad firewire port on the camera (pssst, I'll
supply blank tapes at devsig, if that will help "ensure" that you'll
continue with this)

   2) Solomon: are you OK with Mike taping the session for future /
offsite reference?  Obviously, those folks "offsite" during the meeting
won't have the luxury of root-access to your laptop (I suspect you'll
have a non-routable IP address, possibly even an IPv6 address)