[SGVLUG] portability with svga

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Mar 15 23:28:24 PST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 07:45:51AM -0800, juanslayton at dialup4less.com wrote:

>      If you're on the dev-sig mail list, you've already seen this; I
>      just want a bit more coverage.    (Hit the 'delete', Mike.) I'd
>      like to ask a favor of anyone who has time or interest.  I have
>      written a short set of utility routines for 3rd grade students
>      that I am now reworking for portability to other machines and
>      distros.  A simple binary (titled 'preview') can be downloaded
>      from http://www.dialup4less.com/~juanslayton and run on a
>      terminal screen.  Some of the routines are dependent on
>      ncurses, one uses the svga library.  The latter is the one that
>      seems to have portability problems; it is titled "Say When" on
>      the program menu.  I would greatly appreciate anyone who would
>      try to run this and send me a bug report.  Such report is
>      likely to be no more than "runs" or "won't run" on
>      _____________(distro).  My direct e-mail address is
>      juanslayton at dialup4less.com.
>
> John

I had problems with this.  Unless you read "help" first, you have no
idea of how to interact.  For example, it asks: What seems to be the
problem? (And nothing else)  For, me, I've having problems
interpreting the meaning of multiplier functions in a non-normal
problem of Mayer.  But if I type in 40/33 it will not let me type in
anthing but an integer for the answer and claims that 1 is wrong.  So
I think there is a lot more wrong with this than possible problems
with ncurses.  I'm using a CIT-101e dumb terminal.  At first the
preview slowly scrolls, wasting my time.

I don't know why, but the lynx browser thinks that preview is a text
files and downloads it as text.  But the "file" command show what's
downloaded to be a binary and it executes OK although I shortly gave
up on it due to its other flaws..

			David Lawyer