[SGVLUG] SBC (Residential) Static-IP DSL Plans??

sean at seanodonnell.com sean at seanodonnell.com
Thu Feb 9 11:20:24 PST 2006

Hi All,

I'm considering getting a static-ip DSL plan from SBC, but before I do so, I
wanted to hear if anyone else has had a similar plan from SBC, and how their
experience was.

I was considering the following plan:

---

SBC Yahoo!® DSL Pro-S Package
1.5 to 3.0 Mbps	(down)
384 to 512 Kbps	(up)
5 Static IPs
One year
$49.99/mo
https://swot.sbc.com/swot/productDetail.do?offerId=78077

---

The reason I'm considering getting this sort of ISP service, is because I want
to save money on hosting my (low traffic) web sites, and basically consolidate
my web hosting and ISP expenses.

I currently have a reseller hosting account @ Kionic, but during the holidays,
they had a nasty server disaster and were unable to recover the email,
databases, or html/php files for any of the sites that I have hosted there.
Needless to say, I will no longer be using their service, as soon as I can find
an alternative.

I'd prefer to have a dedicated server or co-location plan, but that is much more
pricey than it's worth (for these sites).

I need a dedicated server to run a spider/web crawler application that I have
developed using PHP5, and shared/virtual hosting plans would not allow this
type of activity.

If I switch to this DSL service, and host my web sites from home, I will save
approx: $600/year, as my current Cable ISP is $60/mo, and my reseller hosting
account is approx: $50/mo.

Now, we all know, running a web server from your house is pretty
unorthodox/ghetto, but it has and can be done (for low traffic / non-critical
sites).

I know the bandwidth is pretty shallow, but I've been getting about 12,000
hits/month to my home server already (using dyndns), on the same bandwidth
ratio, and have not had a problem.

SBC doesn't mention Linux anywhere in their support docs and faq, but I have
found some useful information from other Linux users who had the same plan, by
searching thru google.

Does anyone here have any experience setting up a DNS server using this type of
SBC DSL Plan?

---

Sean O'Donnell
South Pasadena, CA (USA)