[SGVLUG] just checking [more on the "stamp" problem -- most of you can ignore]

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Oct 24 13:45:21 PDT 2005

Michael indicated he had removed Spindel from the list, but right after I sent the previous message I received a similar bounce -- since the subject hasn't changed, I don't know if this was one that was simply "delayed" in getting to me or not.

Regardless, there have also been some "failed" notices showing this trail of hops:

  from mail.realtybroker.com [misconfigured]
    by comcast
  from mail.sgvlug.org
    by mail.realtybroker.com
  from mail.sgvlug.org (localhost)
    by mail.sgvlug.org
  from mail1.warnerbros.com
    by mail.sgvlug.org
   for sgvlug at sgvlug.net
  [internal routing within WB]

just tracing these backwards, I can see my message went through the internal "exchange" network, then "out to the internet" from mail1.warnerbros; from there the sgvlug.org server picked it up, redirected it to localhost for mail-list processing, and then made it available via "realtybroker", where finally "comcast" picked up the message.

I had thought that perhaps "someone" at "realtybroker" was (un)intentionally forwarding to the comcast address, but I checked a regular message "from the list" and I see that "realtybroker" is in the chain [and, come to think of it, this would be related to where Michael works, so this makes sense...]

so it looks like there are three things "spindel" is doing [or is being done on his behalf]

   -- rejecting messages outright w/code 550 [unavailable]; may be a side effect of an over-full mailbox
   -- requesting "response from a real person" via spamsleuth  (presumably this "whitelists" you for having responded)
   -- requesting "response from a real person" via "send me money"