[SGVLUG] E-mail "stamps" -- someone finally did it, it seems...

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Oct 24 13:15:24 PDT 2005

Ahh -- good to know it wasn't an isolated event.  Did you also get some failed-to-deliver from postmaster and/or a "spamsleuth" message?  I suspect the interaction of these caused the problem (if indeed he had "whitelisted" the mailing list in particular)

> I dont think that it is appropriate to request money from a list.
> everyone who posts on the list will get the same request.  Were I
> listmaster, I would remove the person.  What do you think?

Yes, demanding money from list members is rather crude.  Unfortuneatly, the person implementing this is unlikely to know of his faux pas unless someone else (who doesn't have to "pay") gives him a heads-up.  It was icky messy issues like these that makes it difficult or impractical to implement such a scheme [though a goldmine for the person who figures out how to do this without offending the entire world]

> On a technical note, I wonder if it is possible to create a loop of
> messages between a white listers, or a white list and an email stamp.
> [...]  I would hope that the writers of the software
> have some sort of tag escape, or other loop avoidance.

Why would you care if two automatons, doing something marginally credible in the first place, spend the next few eons quibbling about how to "properly" contact their master?  (well, other than the fact it will suck away part of the bandwidth available for "the rest of the world" -- if it's only one pair of programs, not a big deal -- when it's thousands... watch out!)