[SGVLUG] Unity

Braydon ronin at braydon.com
Sun Nov 6 21:28:51 PST 2011

I think it's great and reminds me of Ubiquity for Firefox and the Enso
visual command line. Typing to open locations and commands is more
accessible. Unity  doesn't go as deep as either of those, but their
efforts were very ambitious to integrate all applications through an API
like interface useful by natural language. But just  "email" can mean a
bunch of different things depending on each user, so that ultimately was
the biggest roadblock. For using Unity in Ubuntu it's good just for
opening applications.

In 11.4 and 11.10 of Ubuntu, I recommend disabling the autohide of the
launcher and disabling overlay scrollbars. This way targets are always
visible and don't require an action to activate the target. These should
be default settings.

$ sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
$ ccsm

Search for unity and enter it's options and change "Hide launcher" to
"Never". Be careful installing and opening ccsm as it is possible to
disable Unity here, and leave you with a Desktop without a way to open
applications without entering them into a bash script.

To disable the overlay scroll bars, I have done this in 11.10:

$ sudo echo "export LIBOVERLAY_SCROLLBAR=0">  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/80overlayscrollbars
$ sudo apt-get remove liboverlay-scrollbar*|

No guarantees this won't mess things up, and you can restore default settings of unity:

$ unity --reset