[SGVLUG] Unity

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Sun Nov 6 20:30:01 PST 2011

I recently installed Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity, and frankly I can't
understand the negative reaction to it.  It is in my mind superior to the
traditional Gnome desktop.  Perhaps it is because I've been using a tiling
window manager for years and am not overly attached to a "traditional"
windowing environment.

Unity makes excellent use of screen real-estate.  I can sling a terminal
to the top and get a real full screen console minus the small menu bar.  I
can sling a browser to the left side of the screen and it Aero-snaps to the
left half for easy side-by-side use, my usual tiling mode.  The attractive
launcher on the left stays out of my way unless I need it, and lets me
navigate applications and search in a far easier way than the damn Win95
start menu clone in Gnome 2.

This is an environment that could replace Awesome WM for me.

-braddock