[SGVLUG] bzflag - any servers to recommend

Robert Leyva mrflash818 at geophile.net
Sat Jan 9 16:16:28 PST 2010

Greets,

Two things.

The first thing is, anyone that ever plays bzflag, can you recommend a
server or two of fun folks to frag with?

The second thing is a fix for getting 3d games to run for the specific
graphics card I have.

1. If you are running Debian Stable AND have an old Voodoo 3 3000 3dfx
graphics card, but get the following error when trying to run a game that
uses 3d...

robert at pip:~$ bzflag
X Error of failed request:  BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  159 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
  Serial number of failed request:  26

2. ...Did some research via google, and discovered that my Debian Stable,
running tdfx with a voodoo 3 3000 (16Mb RAM) card, needed a library for
3dfx cards: libglide3.

3. Then did this command:
robert at pip:~$ sudo aptitude install libglide3

4. ...ran bzflag again, to successful results.  :)

I doubt many try to run games on 10yr old hardware, but a solution is a
solution worth sharing.

Me
--
"Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon