[SGVLUG] Topic proposal

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jan 5 10:02:01 PST 2010

Welcome, Braddock - I'd say that sounds like a great start to the year!

I'll put you down for this month's meeting.

FWIW: our general meeting agenda runs something like this:

   6:30 -  7:00 setup (ensure laptop works w/projector, etc.)(*)
   7:00 -  7:15 introductions and such [gives folks time to arrive "late"]
   7:15 -  7:30 news or interesting tidbits, tips, and (quick) questions
   7:30 -  8:30 main presentation [though this will often go all the way until 9]
   8:30 -  8:50 final questions / call for future presentations
   8:50 -  9:00 cleanup
   9:00 - 11:00 dinner @ burger continental [face-to-face w/presenter(*) & others]
  11:00 - ??:?? Stand on sidewalk since the restaurant is closed...

(*) we encourage the presenter to attend, both for setup and "the meeting-after", but this is not mandatory

Even though you only expect to talk for 45 minutes, you will find that our attendees will ask questions and/or add to the discussion.  This often takes the full hour or more.

> -----Original Message----- Of Braddock Gaskill
>
> Hello all,
> I'm a come lately lurker, but if the floor is open I'd like
> to present to the meeting by way of introduction.
>
> >From 2005 to 2008 I ran a small data visualization startup company in
> Maryland.  We were developing new ways of visualizing and
> exploring huge datasets, like, for example, the entire
> routing structure of the internet, or tens of thousands of documents.
[...]