[SGVLUG] Topic proposal

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Tue Jan 5 08:34:50 PST 2010

Hello all,
I'm a come lately lurker, but if the floor is open I'd like to present
to the meeting by way of introduction.

>From 2005 to 2008 I ran a small data visualization startup company in
Maryland.  We were developing new ways of visualizing and exploring huge
datasets, like, for example, the entire routing structure of the
internet, or tens of thousands of documents.

I'd like to quickly show what we were working on (which is pretty damn
cool looking), and then spend the remainder of my time discussing our
experiences with the dozen or so key Open Source dependencies we relied
upon to make it happen.

I really got to know the ins and outs in a Linux/Windows GCC/MSVC cross
platform environment of using OSS like Boost, CMake, OpenSceneGraph,
khtml, gecko, Firefox plugins, GraphViz, lighttpd, Xerces DOM, etc.
Lessons learned, better alternatives, etc.

45 minutes?

thanks,
Braddock