[SGVLUG] What linux calendering programs do people like

Jeremy Leader jleader at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Dec 1 14:57:06 PST 2010

On 12/01/2010 02:41 PM, Claude Felizardo wrote:
> Tried to install Lightning and it said I had an old version of
> Thunderbird.  Fixed that so now how do I get it to sync with google's
> calendar.  Oh hey, I can now read those annoying ics calendar events
> that people like to send me that I have also ignored because I
> couldn't read them.  so much for that excuse...

Yeah, that's the downside of social software; it eliminates our excuses for
being antisocial while we play with our software :)

In Google Calendar, you want to look at the "Calendar Settings", there are 3
icons labeled XML, ICAL, HTML.  I've only tried the ICAL one (because I started
out helping my wife get Apple iCal to talk to Google), I don't know if either of
the others would work.  You need to copy the url that the icon links to.
There's a set of "private" icons (secrit URLs that give write access to your
calendar), and a set of "public" icons (URLs that you can hand out, that only
work if you've set the calendar to be "shared").

In Lightning, you need to switch to the Calendar tab (it's on the new "Events
and Tasks" menu).  Create a new calendar (File, New, Calendar, or right-click
menu, New Calendar).  In the resulting dialog, select "On the Network", then
paste the URL into the Location field, leaving the format set to iCalendar.  The
other fields can be left as-is, you can always go back and edit the properties
of the calendar later.

--
Jeremy Leader
jleader at alumni.caltech.edu