[SGVLUG] live CD anti-virus scan on a NTFS/windows system

Mic Chow zen at netten.net
Wed Oct 29 18:22:14 PDT 2008

Couple of questions:  Once booting from your live CD, will you have
access to the Internet?  How recent an anti-virus library do you need?

Ultimate Boot CD has some really good tools that include anti-virus
packages, but they are dated.  Another suggestion is to make a BARTPE
disk and then pick your poison of anti-virus packages.  However, keep in
mind that anything you create to run from a live CD, where the libraries
are contained on the CD, will be static(can not be updated).  If the
virus is of a newer version or type than what your library has, it will
miss it.  I have never used any of the web based anti-virus tools, but
if anybody has any suggestion on which one to use, then using a Live CD
to boot and access the Internet to access the web based anti-virus tool
would be another option.

If you can remove the drive from the system, then mounting it as a
data/slave (non-booting drive) and scanning it from a known good system
also works.

Hope this helps.

Mic
North Hollywood, CA