[SGVLUG] LCD monitors

Matt Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 19:50:02 PDT 2008

Hi Claude,

It's always hard buying sight unseen online.  If you are as precise about
your monitors as it seems (and you should be considering how many hours
you're going to spend looking at them) it may be worth it to buy new.  This
week I've been playing with LCDs and microcontrollers, the backlights are EL
panels (electroluminescent wire) and usually run at 500v at 400-800Hz.  They
are not cheap, nor are the inverters to run them.

I would check the seller's return policy.  I can't be worse than Apples.  If
they'll guarantee that the panel is up to spec (brightness and pixels) you
should be fine.  I don't mind buying over eBay, but I will drive out to the
seller's location and inspect the merchandise before receiving it.   It's a
lot easier to get them to let you look at three or four monitors on their
floor than to trust them to pick out a good one for you.

By the way, didn't you know that anything less than 24" is passé?

Here's a big secret.  Check out these:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=108
2802&p_id=3005&seq=1&format=2
at $7.35 compare to $50 in retail stores.

Here's another one (the one I wanted, but it was out of stock):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=108
2802&p_id=3411&seq=1&format=2

These are the ones I ended up with.  Four across my desk suspended a foot in
the air gives me my whole desk space clear to play with:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=108
2802&p_id=3055&seq=1&format=2

You need to replace the mounting hardware they ship, it is really cheap
Chinese aluminum screws and bolts, won't hold the torque, but the arms are
rigid cast metal and hold the weight fine.

Good luck!

Matt