[SGVLUG] FC repository searches

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sun Sep 10 23:25:55 PDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 05:50:36PM -0700, Jeff Carlson wrote:
> Dustin Laurence wrote:
> >
> > http://www.fedoratracker.org/
>
> Well, that one is much better than rpmfind or rpmseek or whatever others
> are out there.  The beauty of fedoratracker is that it is focused on
> Fedora, whereas the others are just any distro and the ugly of that is
> of course dependency hell.

My last experience with RPM was long enough ago that I still think
'dependency hell' is another name for RPM, so it's not a bad idea to see
how things are these days anyway.

And probably useless for answering my question, which wasn't to find
RPMs per se but rather to find out whether ekiga was hopefully in the
main distro so no RPM was needed.

> > Either that or move to .debs. :-)
>
> <<shudder>>

I was being nice to you--I didn't suggest either old-school (.tgz) or
hypermodern (.ebuild).  But since it bothers you...DEB!  DEB!
Booga-booga!  :-)

> > It's especially odd when the obvious advantage to RPM-based distros is
> > easy package availability (though I think any advantage there is largely
> > an illusion as far as Debian and maybe Gentoo are concerned).
>
> How does it go?  "Nobody holds a monopoly on bad ideas."  Something like
> that?

I am missing the relevance.

> I don't think the original goal of RPM was to have universal package
> availability,

I should hope not--that is a distro-level goal, RPM is an archive format
and installer tool.  Tools made for that job would be something like
repository software.

Mostly "universal package availability" is something you achieve with
enormous work and developer depth anyway, not specific tools.

> ...I don't think
> Fedora is trying to get where Debian is or is headed.  For anybody who
> wants to just complain that Fedora isn't Debian, fine, run Debian.

Not relevant except that some things are just good ideas for every
distro.  I'm so used to having this at my fingertips that it never even
occured to me that I wouldn't find it on the front page of any
established distro (sure, Fred's Moldavian Linux probably doesn't have
one).

> Don't get me wrong, if we're missing a page on fedoraproject.org that
> describes the contents of every package in Core and Extras, then we need

I suspect it's there, the idea is too obvious, but the front page leaves
me no clue how to find it.

Dustin