[SGVLUG] FC repository searches

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sun Sep 10 12:37:49 PDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 12:03:56PM -0700, Jeff Carlson wrote:

> yum list available
> yum search <package>
> yum install ekiga

That would work if I already had FC installed somewhere, but as I was
investigating if I really want to install it, it doesn't solve the
problem. :-)

It would be astonishingly bad taste if FC doesn't have an on-line search
page for all available software in the core release.

> Also try pirut (pronounced pirate).

Same problem as with using yum directly, since this appears to be a GUI
front end to YUM.

> ...I guess you could search the
> contents of repositories by logging into one of the FTP mirrors and just
> browsing the directories.

Hmm, better.  There is probably a link somewhere on the Fedora page.
When I went there I was looking for the obvious "search contents" page
comparable to

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_packages

http://packages.gentoo.org/

http://slackware.it/en/pb/

That sort of thing is generally the first thing I look for when running
an unfamiliar distribution.  If none exists for Fedora, I'm gonna mutter
ugly things under my breath. :-)

As for what I'm looking for, I just want to know if Ekiga is in main
repository, or in extras, and if it is in neither what is the most
stable and trustworthy source for it.

Dustin