[SGVLUG] Starting a Java Study Group.

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Thu Oct 26 19:05:04 PDT 2006

[...]
> I don't think it should be 'forbidden' to discuss java @ the
> devsig group, as it is a common development language, but I
> was under the impression that devsig was focused more-so on
> open source development technologies, rather than proprietary
> technologies which happen to run on an open source OS.
[...]

This is my opinion, but as I see it, the devSIG isn't "focused" on
anything, and that may be why attendance is down to three or four people
(ok, the greatest attendance was about 10-15 people once, so maybe that
isn't the reason...)  What REALLY happens at a devsig meeting is that I
usually update my SuSE laptop with the latest patches; Bob tries to get
some variant of linux installed on a dos-based laptop [well, OK, he has
since upgraded the hardware...]; Mike does ???, and Juan spends 45
minutes setting up his wireless keyboard array, then chats with mike on
the latest hurdle to overcome for 10 minutes, then spends another 30+
minutes tearing down ;)  [oh, and robert shows up late :) ]

However, this also prompted me to re-read the original statement, and
perhaps I read a little more into it than what was intended, but I think
the originator of this thread meant to start a study group separate from
any existing lug/jug/ug -- the fact that I offered the devsig as a venue
to hash a few things out and recruit charter members of his new group
may have derailed his intentions...  Jason, are you still out there?