[SGVLUG] Xgl/3Ddesktop with dual monitors

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 12:19:08 PDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Claude Felizardo <cafelizardo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone gotten the Xgl/3D desktop to work with xinerama to support
> dual monitors?  I've been having a blast playing with the eye-candy
> that came with mandriva 2007.  The rotating cube for managing virtual
> desktops instead of alt+tab'ing is pretty darn cool as are the other
> effects but I can't get it to work when I enable xinerama and/or
> multi-monitors.

As I can't remeber if Xgl/3D is the one that requires open drivers.
But the answer is that as far as I know only the binary NVIDIA drivers
provide 3d accelerated xinerama support. That is probably your problem
if you don't that NVIDIA hardware, and drivers. The problem if you
want to know is that xinerama works by rendering the entire display on
every screen and then only showing the proper part on the proper
screen.