[SGVLUG] SUSE abandoning ReiserFS

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Mon Oct 2 18:03:45 PDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 05:38:02PM -0700, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> > [link to SuSE dropping ReiserFS]
>
> Hmmm... Being the major SuSE player in the group, was that intended for
> me? ;)

Well, no, but feel free to chime in. :-)

I always associate ReiserFS with Gentoo, not SuSE, but perhaps that's
because I know the ricer fan-boys better. :-)

> Surprising, perhaps, but given the reasons outlined in the post I'm in
> agreement.  (and given the posting a few days ago about his wife, less
> surprising than it would have been otherwise)

I agree it's the right decision, but again I really don't think it has
anything to do with Hans' troubles.  His time is spent on reiser4.

The real shame is that he's not handled reiser4 or the transition well
at all--I imagine SuSE would have much preferred to use reiserfs until
they could transition to reiser4.  But it's Hans' show and his
responsibility--both for pissing off the lkml crowd mightily about
reiser4 and also for being so buttheaded about maintaining reiser3.
It's too bad, but there you have it.

> The "one thing" I really liked was resizing-on-the-fly -- does ext(n) or
> XFS/JFS support this as well?  [or is this actually an artifact of using
> volume groups and LVM?]

$ man resize2fs

[[snip]]

       If the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of  the
       mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-line resizing.  (As
       of this writing, the Linux  2.6  kernel  supports  on-line resize  for
       filesystems mounted using ext3 only.).

So that means it mostly can now do what reiser can do, I think--grow but
not shrink online.

Dustin