[SGVLUG] [SEMI-PLUG] V for Vendetta (was: CAcert Web of Trust?)

Dustin Laurence dustin at dogbert.laurences.net
Thu Mar 30 18:17:06 PST 2006

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:45:27PM -0600, Jean Chen wrote:

> On 3/30/06, Dustin Laurence <dustin at dogbert.laurences.net> wrote:
>
> > liberalism". [6] He has called this decision "imbecilic" and says he
> > views the script as containing "plot holes you couldn't have got away
> > with in Whizzer and Chips in the nineteen sixties. Plot holes no one had
> > noticed." [7] As per his wishes, Moore's name does not appear in the
> > film's closing credits."
>
> Moore sounds pretty upset.

Yes, but it isn't just this movie; he can hardly work with a comic
publisher, let alone a movie studio.  I gather the problem is that he
regards himself as an artiste in a world where all outlets are
controlled by even more nakedly practical business types than usual, and
essentially has to have absolute and total artistic control of his work.
I sympathize, but that was never going to work out well.

It's doubly hard when you want to use your art to take a stick to
exactly the people and institutions that get you published. ;-)

(I'm frightened that I know any of that, but I used to have friends who
were comic fans.  Alan more is one of the three comic authors I know
whose works are worth serious reading by non-comics fans--number one, of
course, is Art Spiegelman's great _Maus_.  _Maus_, though, is
politically correct enough to be acceptable in polite academic company.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

> ...The people in my program (a social science
> program) who have seen it also dislike the politics,

Then maybe I'll like it. :-)  Seriously...social science departments
usually have painfully predicatable political correctness litmus tests.

Perhaps that's why serious comics tend to be rather politically
incorrect--those views are more ruthlessly censored from "respectable"
genres, but lowbrow genres fly under the radar of the academy.

Say, I should have shown you a wonderful game brutally satiring academic
politics (especially in humanities departments).  Should be great for
someone at the U. of Chicago. :-)

> ...but like
> everything else.  I am trusting that assessment since they've all read
> lots of political theory.

I worry about those people, but then you know I'm cynical that way.

"Politics is too important to be left to politicians--or political
science professors."

> ...They all like the design of V's mask.

It is designed to look like either the historical Guy or the traditional
Guy Fawkes Day iconography, isn't it?  (I'm guessing the latter.)

Dustin, wondering why *we* don't celebrate Guy Fawkes day--any excuse for
        setting off explosives is a good one