[SGVLUG] Who wants to be the President... (was Proof of LUGmembership])

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Mar 29 11:08:00 PST 2006

The position is open -- or, more accurately, "vacant" -- anyone want to
"officially" be the president?

(at best, Mike is and I was the "moderator" -- I think David has claimed
the title of press relations, or at the very least doesn't mind taking
the point on this...)

>    [...] or, if you have to pay to join the group,

Free Beer!  Free LUG!

>    If  none  of  these  are  possible options, please bring a
>    newsletter you receive.

Newsletter?  We have a newsletter?  That's news to me! :)

I don't suppose our webpage would qualify -- that's the closest thing we
have to a "newsletter" as anything else.

> ... membership in either case seems to be determined by who
> is on the email list.  It's hard to prove that, though.  We
> could create a LUG PGP key, but it's hard to see how you
> would verify that the public key is valid.

Not a bad idea -- we could create said key at next month's meeting (as a
bit of "show and tell" on how to do pgp keys) and have anyone/everyone
in attendance sign it with their key (and reciprocally sign theirs as
well).  The fact that the lug's key is signed by so many lends credence
to it's validity, and anyone signed by that key would be a defacto
"member".  (or I suppose we could make a signed list available as
appropriate -- probably just by name only as people tend to be skittish
about easily accessed lists of e-mail addresses...)