[SGVLUG] CAcert Web of Trust?

Greg Stark gstark at electrorent.com
Tue Mar 28 17:50:58 PST 2006

If there are no objections, I will post an announcement to the CAcert BLOG,
that SGVLUG will have a registration at the April meeting.  I will also see
if we can get a "Super Assurer" to participate.

This should be added to the CalTech Calendar notice.

Persons wish to participate should have registered at CAcert.org and printed
out at least two(2) copies of the TTP(see website), photo copies of the
ID's(again read website), and bring the two photo ID's.   We could improve
on Trust Points Awarded if we can get at least two Trusted Third Parties to
attend.

Greg Stark

Trusted Third Party?

A trusted 3rd party is simply someone in your country that is responsible
for witnessing signatures and ID documents. This role is covered by many
different titles such as public notary, justice of the peace and so on.
Other people are allowed to be authoritative in this area as well, such as
bank managers, accountants and lawyers.

More Points, More Privileges

Depending on the number of points you have you can do different things on
CAcert.org.

. 0-49 points - Person considered "unassured" and their name is not included
in any CAcert cert. You can get a ClientCert (Client Certificate used for
email encryption or signing) valid for 12 months. A ServerCert (used for SSL
in your webserver) for 6 months.

. 50 points - Your full name is included in your ClientCert. ServerCerts are
valid for 24 months. You can get your PGP/GPG Key signed by CAcert
(PgpSigning).

. 100 points - This is the maximum number of points you can reach via WOT.
Now you can put your name on the WoT Assurer list on CAcert.org. You can
apply for a CodesigningCert now. You can no longer change your personal data
(Name, Date of Birth, ...).

. 150 points - This means "fully assured". It's the maximum number of points
that may be reached via the TTP program or by assuring others. You now can
issue up to 35 points to other users.

. 200 points - "Super Assurer". Used to 'seed' new areas where there are no
other assurers present or to mass assure at big events. To receive 200
points, you must be fully assured already and make a request to the CAcert
Board of Directors stating the reason and length of time for the requested
increase. If granted, the value is only temporary for a set time.

  _____