[SGVLUG] OT: video card

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Mar 27 16:14:09 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
 Harold Totten
I have a Diamond Viper v330 PCI video card.   It seems to be broke.
[...]
Anyone have something that might work?  Cheap?

Look around the bottom shelves at Fry's -- they usually have the
old/off-brand cards in the under-20-dollar range there, most any of them
should work, especially if you had a diamond in the past.

For that matter, a replacement viper 330 (if you can find it) might even
be in the $20-40  range nowadays ;)

After a bit of searching, the -lowest price- PCI card I found at
pricewatch is this:

http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ATI-RAG
EXL-8M

priced at $18, though it is ATI not Diamond (though that is of little
consequence nowadays)

Conversely, the other end of the spectrum is this:

http://www.foxtec.com/products/view.asp?ID=i_10262915

which is priced at $6700 (though I found higher prices on the vendors
site itself)  Of course, before the sticker shock completely sets in,
that is for "bulk packaging" -- something like 5 units/box....  (which
is still over a grand each -- ouch!)