[SGVLUG] Especially for Mike

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 15:46:21 PST 2006

On 3/8/06, Dustin Laurence <dustin at dogbert.laurences.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 05:02:54PM -0600, Jean Chen wrote:
>
> > On 3/7/06, Dustin Laurence <dustin at dogbert.laurences.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Of course we expect you to go with the geek-approved open-source
> > > solution and set up a MythTV box.
> >
> > You're right!  Uh, that "TiVo" was a typo... yeah.
>
> Good.  I'd hate to have to call up the Chicago LUGs and ask them to deal
> with a "stray penguin."  :-)
>
> Dustin, "Linux: you can check out, but you can never leave"

Hang on.  TiVo uses Linux and they have released source code per the
GPL.  This includes their changes to the PowerPC kernel, modules,
commands, libraries and tools.  Obviously they didn't release the
source to their proprietary database/filesystem which they need to do
to have some kind of DRM in place.

http://www.tivo.com/linux/linux.asp

As for TiVo or MythTV or any of the other DIY projects, it's a matter
of how much free time you have and how much you value it.  If I didn't
sit at a computer all day, had decent spare parts on hand and was low
on extra funds, then MythTV might be the way to go.  But with a family
and other things to occupy my time, I prefer something that just works
24x7 and doesn't require me to be tweaking it constantly.

BTW, someone sent me a link to an article at Wired News:
"Build Your Own PVR, Then Trash It"
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70328-0.html?tw=rss.index

which has a link to Build Your Own PVR at http://byopvr.com/