[SGVLUG] Looking for a file layout...

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Mar 8 09:12:24 PST 2006

Is there a site that describes file layouts for "open" projects?  In particular, I'm interested in the actual layout of the gpg pubring/secring files (for my own understanding of how things work)

I know the ultimate answer is "use the source", but often that is more roundabout -- you have to find out which source file /might/ include the layout, and it /might/ be documented in some manner, but it could just as easily be decoded "on the fly" by some subordinate file, which means manually executing code to derive the layout -- in short, far too much work for the answers I'm seeking.

Of course, I could be pleasantly surprised and there could be a "pubring_layout.txt" file as one of the source files that specifically documents, field by field, the layout (including the range of legal values, etc.)  If someone knows this is the case, by all means point me in that direction!

Unfortunately, pgp/gpg is prevalent enough that a trivial google search returns more pages of bloggers who recount their experience in setting up and using gpg "for the first time" than there are of "useful" pages on the subject

Hmmm... gotta run -- it's "new computer day" here where I'm working -- going to be offline for a couple hours...