[SGVLUG] FC3 and sata

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 12:32:51 PST 2006

On 3/1/06, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> [...]

The problem is that hardware manufacturers lie when they sell
chipsets. They call it hardware raid when in fact it is software raid
or hardware assisted software raid. This works in the windows world
because they write the drivers, which make it look to the OS as if it
is hardware raid. When in fact most if not all the work is done in
software (the manufacturer provided windows driver). There are also
sometimes bios setting like sata or raid this changes how linux will
detect the hardware.

The functionality went away because sometimes the linux software raid
drivers are better then the manufacture "hardware"(read really
software) raid. Plus sata was was unified as part of the scsi
subsystem. It made sense to move sata to scsi from ide subsystem as
the scsi layer already implamented features that would have had to be
added to ide. Like command queueing, hot plugging, and other things
that make sata the equal of scsi in all things but quality of
construction and pure interface speed.