[SGVLUG] FC3 and sata

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 11:28:30 PST 2006

On 3/1/06, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Q: Anyone with experiences using FC3 and Sata?
>
> in particular - issues and troubles getting
> FC to recognize the HD
>
> thanks
> matti

No direct experience but I suspect a simple setup with SATA would
work.  A buddy of mine was trying to install Linspire on a windoze box
with dual SATA drives in a RAID-0 configuration.  The Linspire install
warned him that RAID-0 on SATA wasn't supported but he thought he'd be
okay since he was installing onto an IDE partition.  So it happily
wrote the MBR on presumably the first SATA drive and then he ran into
some kind of problem.  He wiped out the IDE partition but then GRUB
kept complaining that it's config file couldn't be found no matter how
many times he tried to restore the MBR.  He ended up reinstalling
everything from scratch and is now scarred for life.   Guess that's
one reason I still prefer LILO.

Oh but wait, i'm on a Linux box with a SATA drive right now.  I
haven't had a chance to upgrade it yet so it's still running Mandriva
10.2 with a 2.6.11-6 kernel.  So if FC3 is running the same or newer
kernel, I'd suspect it will work as long as you keep it simple.  Like
no RAID-5/LVM at boot unless you want to muck with initrd.  I won't do
that again.