[SGVLUG] New Linux Lug

Dustin Laurence dustin at dogbert.laurences.net
Thu Feb 16 14:31:16 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 02:20:43PM -0800, Jeff Carlson wrote:
> Emerson, Tom wrote:
> >live down the lane" group?  As it is, our group claims membership to
> >a 40 mile+ strip of land from Pasadena to Pomona (and as I live in La
> >Crescenta, that adds another 5 miles to the western border...)  We
> >certainly wouldn't turn anyone away who came from Burbank or Glendale
> >[which happen to be directly south of where I live...] but given our
> >name, they might think we couldn't/wouldn't serve them all that
> >well...
>
> There was a period in time when I thought Glendale and Burbank WERE in
> the SGV.  I guess I didn't really look at a map.  They both still do not
> really seem like the SFV to me.  But the fact is both cities are really
> close to Pasadena, so a LUG meeting in Pasadena serves those two cities
> remarkably well.

A lot better than we can serve people half an hour up the valley. :-)

Why do we claim a membership area at all, anyway?  Surely no one pays
any attention to such things when deciding where to go, I know I
certainly don't and never will.  You decide based on your own
willingness to drive and your motivation to go.  The only use for a
geographical location in the name is to make it easier for people to
know if you're close enough to meet their needs and provide a warm fuzzy
inclusive feeling.  If there were a name that meant "the western end of
the San Gabriel valley, Pasadena, and Glendale, they might have chosen
that way back when. :-)  But as it is, I don't know of a name "centered"
on Pasadena.

Dustin