[SGVLUG] New Linux Lug

Jeff Carlson jeff at ultimateevil.org
Thu Feb 16 14:20:43 PST 2006

Emerson, Tom wrote:
> It could also work to a group's detriment -- the choice of "location"
> could imply too big or too little of an area -- would you attend the
> "linux users of California" group?  How about the "linux users who
> live down the lane" group?  As it is, our group claims membership to
> a 40 mile+ strip of land from Pasadena to Pomona (and as I live in La
> Crescenta, that adds another 5 miles to the western border...)  We
> certainly wouldn't turn anyone away who came from Burbank or Glendale
> [which happen to be directly south of where I live...] but given our
> name, they might think we couldn't/wouldn't serve them all that
> well...

There was a period in time when I thought Glendale and Burbank WERE in
the SGV.  I guess I didn't really look at a map.  They both still do not
really seem like the SFV to me.  But the fact is both cities are really
close to Pasadena, so a LUG meeting in Pasadena serves those two cities
remarkably well.

The SCLUG meets in Simi Valley, and thus serves Chatsworth and
Northridge really well.

As far as how far people travel, I live in Newbury Park.  I don't make a
lot of meetings (I think I have only ever been to two) but you can count
me in as a group member.