[SGVLUG] Survey Sez...

Jeff Keys jskeys at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:45:28 PST 2006

On 2/13/06, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:

> At the general meeting, 20 people signed in, [though we had 22 in the
> "drawing", and I know about 4 or 5 declined].  The question of the night,
> scientifically chosen to match the subject matter, was
>
>    "how many systems are on your boot menu (and what are they)?"
>
> Outside of a couple of tongue-in-cheek answers of "which system?" [from
> folks with many many systems], the usual answer was "2" (about half of the
> respondents overall); and the two systems were generally some form of
> windows and a big-name distro.  The odd answers within this were:
>
>    -- Fedora Core (4) and DOS
>    -- slackware and Ubuntu (the only claim of two different Linux distros)
>
> Perhaps the oddest combo of linux + windows (in my mind) was Slackware and
> win98.
>
> The most common "windows" was XP (though I'm not distinguishing between
> "home" and "pro")  There was at least one win2000, and as noted above, one
> instance of "DOS" [though this is technically more correct than all the
> other "windows" respondants, which are actually answering the question "how
> many user interfaces do you actually use on your system and what are they",
> though this would have generated answers such as "win9x and KDE" or "Gnome
> and XP", "bash and the DOS command line" -- you get the picture I'm sure...]
>
> I suspect you could draw some conclusions about the order in which the
> answers were written (i.e., whether windows or linux was listed first) but
> that could all-too-easily incite a flamewar :)

I think I listed XP (Pro) first, followed by Fedora Core4. Since I have only
used XP 5 or 6 times in the last year, just long enough to do whatever I
started it for, plus update XP, Spybot, etc., the correct conclusion about
listing order may be that /dev/hda1 is XP and hda5-9 are Fedora.

To expand my response, I also have
   PII running Solaris 7 and NT4,
   two Linksys WRT54Gs running White Russian
   Sparc5 running RedHat6
   Mac with OS 10.4
   two Macs with 10.2
   PIII with Ubuntu and XP
   an old PC a client gave me which will probably end up with BSD or Gentoo
or something lean.