[SGVLUG] Burning laptop anyone?

Sean O'Donnell sean at seanodonnell.com
Wed Aug 30 00:34:16 PDT 2006

Todd Cranston-Cuebas wrote:
> I can see why the photos are funny, but in reality it's really not that
> funny.

The video w/ the japanese guy and the exploding dell was funny, the one
w/ the architect guy whose laptop almost torched the office was sorta
funny, but more scary if anything, but the thought of an unattended
laptop catching fire and burning down an entire house is not funny at all.

Especially when you hear the company whose product was the cause, ditch
all responsibility of accountability and try to make you feel ignorant
for not knowing something that 'they' claim 'everyone' should know.

> I tried this on my IBM laptop from work and when placed on a normal
> shag carpet, the heat did really build up fast. I'm not sure that it would
> burst into flames, or even melt, but I wouldn't want to test it out again.

I have a ProStar 3724 Laptop and it gets really hot.

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=3724

I've had it for about a year and a half, and have been running it almost
24/7 (it rarely leaves my house), and I even leave it running when I'm
not around, but I try to keep the room temperature cool, although a fan
can only do so much in a 2nd story apt. in this heat.

The laptop itself does get pretty hot, and I'd like to have kids some
day, so I don't dare use it on my lap w/out a pillow, but when I put it
on a pillow, or on my bed even, it traps the heat as they were saying,
and gets 'really' hot.

This was something I realized by using it, not something that I would
consider 'common knowledge' amongst ALL laptop owners.

There is an area on the hand rest part where my left hand usually rubs
against when I type, and it is rather discolored. I think it's obvious
that the friction of my hand rubbing against it, ALONG with the heat,
have been the cause, unless it is just from the heat alone, not sure,
but the right-side where my hand usually rubs against, isn't discolored
at all, so it could just be the heat.

All these recent incidents have made me question whether I should
continue to leave it running when I'm not around. I'm not sure if it use
s a Sony Battery (like the exploding dells) or not, but it may be about
time I looked into that, and started powering-down when I leave for work
or zzZZzz @ night.

> I now have a nice brown spot on a beautiful pure white carpet and a melting
> machine. It really could have been a disaster.
>
> Fujitsu's response was less than adequate.

I think these companies need to be held FULLY accountable for such
disasters.

I've heard of things like: 'don't use it on your lap if you want to have
kids, it will sterilize your sperm from the heat' etc, but never about
floors causing heat traps and fires.

Although, with the amount of heat my laptop gives off, it doesn't
surprise me. However, I have left it running on my floor for days on end
and have yet to have a prob. *knock on wood*

Anyhow, sorry to hear, Todd. =/

I'll be sure to (continue to) not to purchase their products in the future!

- --

Sean O'Donnell
South Pasadena, CA
sean at seanodonnell.com