[SGVLUG] Burning laptop anyone?

Todd Cranston-Cuebas Todd.Cranston-Cuebas at Ticketmaster.com
Tue Aug 29 16:35:03 PDT 2006

I had cheap laptop running linux but unfortunately, my kids left it on the
shag rug and it literally burned up! I called the company, Fujitsu, and they
claimed that everybody knows that a laptop will trap heat if left on a shag
rug and that the heat will continue to rise until the system melts.

Anybody else find this to be "new" information? It literally left a burn on
the rug and the plastic door where the memory card goes literally melted
like a limp potato chip. The system is just toast and won't even boot. I
have to admit that the laptop wasn't that useful since it very, little RAM
so I had to keep pairing down the software to run just about anything new.
On the other hand, it came close to burning my house down. Now, I don't put
laptops on the rug, the bed, etc. Thought I'd pass this warning on!

BTW: As you might guess, I'm looking for a _really_ basic laptop to replace
this unit that has a bit more memory, so my kid can install a standard full
distro of linux, firefox, and open-office for school. Nothing fancy, in
fact, it can be downright ugly. If you have one that you would be willing to
part with, talk to me off-line so we can talk about it.

Regards,

Todd

Todd Cranston-Cuebas
Manager of Technical Recruiting
Ticketmaster
8800 W. Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90069
Phone: (310) 360-2436; Mobile: (310) 422-3347
tcc at ticketmaster.com

Available Ticketmaster Positions

Join the Ticketmaster Job Network! Your dream job is just a click away...