[SGVLUG] Unexpected "Tux" sighting...

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Aug 25 17:18:55 PDT 2006

Last night I was watching my friend playing a video game in the bar --
some tetris variant on one of those "gazillion-games-in-one" tabletop
touchscreen quarter gobblers.  He had just lined up the vertical bar to
clear out 4 rows at once when the machine rebooted.  Sure enough, it was
some "generic PC" built into a touchscreen w/bill taker, and I was all
ready to make some derisive comment on the programmer's abilities when
what to my wondering eyes should appear in the upper left hand corner?

You got it -- Tux -- the "game console" was running Linux!

[so, now I figure there was a power glitch -- I'm /sure/ I saw the
lights flicker... ;) ]

Seriously, though, I'm rather impressed -- I didn't realize that
touchscreen support worked that well under linux (and the game quality
is right on up there with all the latest titles...)  Of course, now I
wanna know who is writing these games and/or where I can get copies to
play at home :)

I suppose I will have to power cycle it the next time I'm there and
capture the boot sequence on camera...