[SGVLUG] way off topic - need a m$ antivirus recommendation

Jeff Kutz jdkutz_68 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 17 20:35:07 PDT 2006

>From: "Jason Riker" <jasonrkr at verizon.net>
>To: "'SGVLUG Discussion List.'" <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
>Subject: RE: [SGVLUG] way off topic - need a m$ antivirus recommendation
>Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:49:33 -0700
>
>Robert,
>
>I've had good luck with NOD32 and McAfee.  However, if you buy McAfee just
>buy the Anti-virus not the other crap (if you need free AVG is a good
>choice).  Use WindowsXP's default firewall.

Personally, I don't like the XP firewall because it only guards for stuff
coming in. I like a firewall that also monitors what is going out.That way,
if something does get INTO my computer, it can not call back home without me
knowing about it. I also take great delight in telling my HP printer and
some of my other software that it can NOT call home and tell big brother
what it has been doing on my computer. Of course, if I get an especially
nasty, but well-crafted bit of spyware on my computer, I suppose it just
might be smart enough to know how to get past my firewall too. But still, I
am going to make them work at it. I am not going to be a complete push-over.