[SGVLUG] Re: Speaker for August

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 00:07:43 PDT 2006

On 8/5/06, Matthew Gallizzi <matthew.gallizzi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kerry Garrison, the IT Director for Tech Data Pros, an Orange County IT and
> Telephony provider, will be on hand to discuss the current state of
> Linux-based IP PBX systems and how Asterisk Open Source PBX is making
> inrounds into businesses of all shapes and sizes. Also, Kerry will demo
> TrixBox, a CentOS based distro with automatic installation of Asterisk and
> the FreePBX web interface that allows you to get a complete phone system
> up and running in about an hour.
>
> Here is the description. Should be interesting!

Bummers!  Sounds really interesting but I'm going to be out of town.
One of the things I've been wanting to do was use the unused 2nd line
feature of my cordless phones for doing home automation.  Someone had
suggested that Asterisk might be able to do this with the right
hardware.  I figure I just need something that would provide the
necessary voltage to the 2nd line then I could pick up any phone in
the house, hit some keys and have a DTMF decoder execute a shell
command.  If someone could ask what the minimal amount of hardware
would be necessary I'd appreciate it.  I don't need VOIP at this time.
 That is unless I wanted the computer to dial my cell phone and tell
me that the UPS batteries are about to die.

btw, I submitted the announcement to the Caltech Calendar tonight so
it should show up on http://today.caltech.edu/ in the next few days.

claude