[SGVLUG] Linux viruses [was: (no subject)]

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Wed Aug 2 19:47:26 PDT 2006

Dustin Laurence wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 06:55:55PM -0700, John E. Kreznar wrote:
>>
>> Dustin Laurence <dustin at laurences.net> writes:
>>
>>> The few Linux viruses "out there" don't actually spread in practice.
>> How could this be verified?
>
> To the relevant accuracy, it can be verified simply by trying to find
> someone who has had to remove a Linux virus.  If you mean an actual
> controlled experiment, I'd set up a virtual network under VMWare, infect
> one machine, and see if it can spread to the others under various
> configurations.
>
> The common wisdom is that it doesn't unless you like to run as root.

<experiment>
Install Red Hat 6.2. Connect to Internet. Wait one minute. Inspect machine.
</experiment>

The common wisdom doesn't entirely reflect reality. Interestingly, of
the non-LUG folks I've known who've used Linux, the infection rate has
been about 20%. Sure its a small sample size, but comparable to the "try
to find someone" case. Tells you something about the demographics of the
folks who attends LUGs that the incident rate is so much lower there.

--Chris