[SGVLUG] Slack in 16 Mb

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Tue Oct 25 18:53:37 PDT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, jmd wrote:

> 72 pin memory had a fairly strict configuration scheme, if i remember
> right. especially the dec alphas. different memory modules with the
> same part number and mfg model number might not work.

Yeah, that seems to be the case here.

> if i remember right, if you have 4 banks and are using ECC they must
> all be ECC. i am not sure about fast page memory, but i think this is
> true also. all 4 would have to be fast page.

My webserver PII motherboard seems to be running fine and passing memtest
with one bank fast page and one bank EDO.  I was a bit surprised it didn't
get surly about that (the reason I tried it is that it was the only
configuration that would give it parity checking).  It's the Pentium
firewall motherboard that's grumpy--it won't accept four identical sticks.
I didn't know several of the points you brought up, so it might be one of
those.  I do have the motherboard manual, though, and it claims it's not
at all picky as long as you match the sticks in each bank.

Thanks again for the bag of memory; at worst, it will still get an upgrade
from the old non-parity memory I took out of the PII.

Dustin