[SGVLUG] Mondo backups on "mondo" tape drives

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu Oct 20 16:47:20 PDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:45:36AM -0700, Dustin wrote:

> The major thing I know about afio is that it compresses individual files,
> whereas tar compresses the archive all at once.  Tar therefore gets better
> compression ratios, but if the archive gets corrupted it usually destroys
> the entire archive whereas it may only hit one file with afio.

I used to use tbackup in the late 1990's and then it became
unmaintained.  It had options to use cpio/afio, etc.  I got the source
to see how to fix it and found the source was split up into perhaps 50
different files for modularity.  I wrote to the developer to ask him
to fix it.  He said in effect "no time".  So I guess it just died.  I
selected it after checking the Internet to find the best medium size
backup.  There's still stuff about it today on the Internet.  Here's
some excerpts:
			David Lawyer

                                   Tbackup

           One of the best programs for handling tape cartridges!

                                [hunder.gif]

   Tbackup is a user friendly, flexible and powerful tape backup program.
   Here you are some of its characteristics:
     * It keeps an index for storing easily and safely multiple archives
       on a tape.
     * It has both a menu-driven user-friendly interface for interactive
       use and a flexible command line interface for use in scripts and
       automatic maintenance.
     * It handles multi-volume archives (even if the volumes have
       different lengths, and span on partially used cartridges).
     * It can back-up from streams, so that you can tar a group of files,
       compress them with your favourite program, crypt them and save them
       to a tape with a single command line, or you can redirect your
       printouts to the tape.
     * The archives can be retrieved even WITHOUT Tbackup.