[SGVLUG] getting & using BitTorrent

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Oct 7 13:36:57 PDT 2005

[I wrote]
> and finally, how many people would be interested in 10.0
> install/eval/live
> cd's or dvd's at the next meeting? </SNIP>
> I am interested, in a CD copy.

OK, I managed to get things working -- seems the "rpm" forcibly loads into a /different/ version of python than what is installed, i.e., /usr/share/python2.3/... (and I have 2.4 installed)  Per a website I found, one suggestion was to export PYTHONPATH prior to running the actual program(s), and that seemed to work -- I'll have to work up a more permanent solution after these torrents finish

but... as to when they'll finish?  dunno -- the first one I did actually completed in about 12 hours (but that was for the "live" DVD (*), only 1GB of data to pull for that one)  I'm now simultaneously pulling the CD install and 64-bit DVD install iso's.  I just checked, and it appears to have downloaded just under 300 meg for each image (i.e., half of CD #1 and 10% of the DVD) -- that's actually 10% overall in 4 or 5 hours, so we're looking at 40-50 hours total...  [good thing I'll be "away" for the weekend...]

with luck they'll be "done" sunday morning - not sure how much longer I'll need to keep them "seeded" to be a "good torrent citizen" :)  [I did push up my outbound cap to 30K/second, and I know my inbound is 40K, so just on the surface of things, I should be close to 75% when the torrent completes in the first place...]  [and yes, sometime in the last year or so Pacbell silently made me a symmetrical customer, of course, I'm only at 384 kbit/second, so being symmetric is a bit bittersweet...]

Tom

(*) when I got up this morning, with only an hour or so left to download, it suddenly struck me that the purpose I had for downloading a "live" version wasn't going to work -- I have an older gateway system that is hanging during the initial boot-up of the installation kernel, so I wanted to "run" a 10.0 version "live" to see if the old hardware could handle the new version.  What I suddenly realized is that the machine in question DOESN'T have a DVD drive...)