[SGVLUG] Chromebook and the future of secure boot

Kenny Leao shiningkenmonster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:13:55 PDT 2012

I do have the prototype Chromebook - CR-48. As for the Chromebook on
developer mode. I don't think it matters if you are flipping the
switch to developer mode. When you don't flip the switch. It is in
secure boot mode. the chromebook does an automatic scan each time you
power up your chromebook. if something is corrupt with the OS or there
is malware. it will automatically install a fresh protected copy of
Chrome OS. There are two copies of the OS. When you flip the switch,
it turns off this feature. you can unlock the full terminal commands.
it also formats the partition too. I am not sure why, but it is a
security feature so it makes sure your Chrome OS has not been tamper
with. It does this each time when you flip the switch to on and off.
Chrome OS should work with Netflix. However using another Linux distro
won't work. because the Netflix website has DRM. Netflix and Google
had worked together to make it work. They have compiled the netflix
web app/ html5 to get it to work without Microsoft's Silverlight
plugin.

To the first author who made this post. I believe the person whom you
got the comment about "it doesn't work" sounds unaccredited. That
person sounds like a noob. I have tried Chrome OS on Netflix before.
it does work. I have never done it in developer mode before. I hope I
am not wrong. I do hang out in the forum a quite a lot. I have never
seen a complain about being in the developer mode won't make the
Netflix not work.

You can ask some of the forum members of the chromebooks on here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/chromebook-central

you can also ask a Google ninja directly, some of them do hang out in
the chromebook forum too.
http://support.google.com/chromeos/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1280301
however, you do need a chromebook to contact a chromebook ninja.