[SGVLUG] Chromebook and the future of secure boot

Braddock Gaskill braddock at braddock.com
Wed Mar 21 12:04:35 PDT 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 11:59:01 -0700, John Kreznar <jek at ininx.com> wrote:
> Please pardon my ignorance.  If it's as easy as flipping a switch, why
> can't the switch simply be flipped as necessary before booting?

Under Chromebook, it is my understanding that flipping the secure boot
switch off wipes all user data from the Chrome OS partition as a security
measure.
So it is non-trivial to go back and forth.

If we're lucky, secure UEFI will just allow us to go into the BIOS and
switch it on and off on each reboot without such extreme repercussions.
That would place it in the merely extremely annoying category.  Of course
if you're on ARM you're just screwed.

-braddock