[SGVLUG] SOPA/Protect IP bill moving forward to gut DNS security

John Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Thu Nov 17 15:19:20 PST 2011

In a posting purporting to be from 4V4-WRG <e320r837i4031j316 at yahoo.com>
but lacking a digital signature, it is written:

> If freedombox follows the same concepts and software that TOR does ...

It's much more than that.  It can have TOR as a component.  Read further
at the site.

> ... why not just download the TOR browser ...  and run an anonymous
> browser in either virtual box or real computer environment?  Your IP
> changes every 10 minutes too so you are hopping all over the globe
> literally :-) Makes it almost impossible to trace.

From the TOR documentation:

   ... for low-latency systems like Tor, end-to-end traffic
   correlation attacks [8, 21, 31] allow an attacker who can observe
   both ends of a communication to correlate packet timing and volume,
   quickly linking the initiator to her destination.

    --- http://tor.eff.org/cvs/tor/doc/design-paper/challenges.pdf

> Also one word of warning I never at this time login to any sites that
> require user name and PW

Wise choice.  Did you bump into that at the freedombox site?

--
OpenPGP key: http://ininx.com
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13