[SGVLUG] openwrt - netgear wpn824 v3

Dan Buthusiem dan.buthusiem at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 14:30:34 PST 2011

Like I said - I recommend having a second router, just in case you brick
it.

I don't think that router had enough specs for me to reflash it with Linux.
I picked up a bunch of refurbished wpn824 for $13 each, but I gave them
away to use in a large house as access points. The stock firmware made a
great wifi bridge, provided you bridged to another wpn824.

The NetGear WNR2000 refurb goes for $20 on TigerDirect

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5569261&csid=_25

I've never seen anything other than the v2 of that router, so dd-wrt should
handle it fine.

Personally, the first modern router that I had no issues with recovering
from was my Netgear WNR3500L, which you can buy refurb from Amazon for $40.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RYYZZS/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

It only has 2.4 GHz N (300Mbit?), but it has 5 Gig Ethernet ports. It made
a great PPTP VPN server until the VPN suddenly stopped working. I ended up
upgrading to a Netgear WNDR3700v2, but the WNR3500L is the best router my
landlord's ever had. His reaction was "Holy crap! My WiFi signal is
amazing!" It also has a recovery mode, in case you have a bad flash / brick.

Sorry for the wall of text. For those of you who tl;dr'd this, I'll end
with the excuse I gave my roommate for why the VPN went down during last
night's meeting / VPN demo - "Oh, the cable was disconnected." I left out
the part where the router left the house. lol

- Dan