[SGVLUG] Is Super Micro Computer a good source for a desktop?

Christopher Smith x at xman.org
Mon Jan 18 05:24:55 PST 2010

John E. Kreznar wrote:
> Anybody experienced with Super Micro Computer, Inc?  Their 5036T-TB
> seems to have the right hardware virtualization and IOMMU stuff:
>
>    http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/midtower/5036/SYS-5036T-T.cfm
>
> The Intel VT-x should enable running Xen in HVM mode, and the Intel
> VT-d IOMMU should enable PCI device passthrough to a virtual guest.

SuperMicro is an OEM for a lot of other companies as well. Our co-op has
been using a SuperMicro based system from Silicon Mechanics. I highly
recommend their services. They've been excellent, their sales team is
solid, and they've been a solid sponsor of SCALE. We've been using the
system for over a year now without any complications. Only one catch:
they don't do the workstations. :-( Still, I can give SuperMicro systems
the thumbs up.

--Chris