[SGVLUG] eye-fi and skyhook coverage

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 19:51:01 PST 2010

Anyone using an eye-fi with their Digital camera?  And if so, what is
the Skyhook coverage like where you us it?

For those not familiar with eye-fi, its an SD/SDHC compatible card
that can automatically upload your pics to various locations such as
your computer, picasa, flkr, etc.  There is also a geotagging option
that I'm interested in that uses Skyhook-covered WiFi access points to
tag your pics IF it got (or had a recent) fix on your location when
you took the picture.  You can then upload at a hotspot like at a
mcdonalds or other hotspot.

What triggered this recent investigation is I noticed the option to
upgrade to more storage using gmail  (above the current free 7 GB) and
saw an offer for a free eye-fi card if you sign up for at least 200 GB
at $50.  The card they are offering is the 4 GB home video card which
is sells for $70 but apparently includes an activation code for the
geotagging and hotspot for the first year and supposedly free as long
as you keep using picasa and youtbue.  Normally the explore video
version which includes lifetime geotagging and hotspot runs for $100.

http://www.eye.fi/google
http://forums.eye.fi/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1471
http://www.eye.fi/products/homevideo