[SGVLUG] "There are some things WikiLeaks can't do. ..

jmd jmd8800 at charter.net
Thu Dec 9 14:50:48 PST 2010

On Dec 9, 2010, at 11:43 AM, matti wrote:

> this is getting rather interesting...
> waiting for the movie to come out...
>

> "There are some things WikiLeaks can't do. For everything else,
> there's Operation Payback,"
>

> Is WikiLeaks engaged in 'cyber war'?
>
> '..The battle over the site -- which has come under fire from the
> United States for publishing private diplomatic communications --
> escalated this week as apparent WikiLeaks' supporters crashed the
> websites of PayPal, Visa and MasterCard, which had stopped
> processing donations to WikiLeaks...
>

> http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/innovation/12/09/
> wikileaks.cyber.attacks/index.html?hpt=T2

I would suggest these attacks on various websites is a problem for
Wikileaks. Wikileaks has denied any connection.

These attacks serve to reframe the argument from the basic argument
of *freedom of information* and toss it into hackers vs society ..or
by extension good vs evil. A better article might have been written
about the numbers of people protesting (or not protesting) by
canceling their PayPal accounts.

My take on the WikiLeaks question is this a battle for the heart and
soul of what the *internet* concept and structure is. A decentralized
method of distributing information.

I see this in the same light as the printing press and the subsequent
*enlightenment*. This is the same question as open source vs closed
source.

The status quo will have you believe this CNN article when in fact
there are two separate questions. I detest mainstream media in the
USA. I think Julian Assange does too.... and for the same reasons I
do. It does not serve the public good. (Think Microsoft FUD in the
early days of Linux.)

jeff