[SGVLUG] MS bing trojan in systems!

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 08:47:38 PST 2010

A friend's computer had the exact SAME issue here,
after attempting all the usual stuff I searched
bing from their firefox (LOL and also google ) for answers

"Firefox Address Bar Goes to Bing

When typing into the address bar everything goes to bing search now. I have done everything from changing keyword.url to starting in safe mode to completely uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox. Nothing works and it always goes back to a bing search whenever I type anything in."

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/693508#answer-16184

One Solution Solution Chosen by AnonymousUser:
hijack firefox

solved by uninstalling this update. kb982381

hmmm... kb982381..(from google:)

MS10-035: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer
Aug 12, 2010 ... Resolves vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer that could allow remote code execution if a user uses Internet Explorer to view a specially ...
support.microsoft.com/kb/982381 - Cached

hmmm... is THAT how it got into my friend's firefox????
or was it some other irritating crappy-install-what-i-want-ware???

Anyways I opted for the following solutin:

Solution:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Location_Bar_search
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keyword.URL
http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config

the About:config file has a keyword.URL variable, which
was set to bing!! blah!!! no normal user would ever
have changed it.

what a PITA! and I am not talking about something
tasty from Burger Continental!

best
matti